Monday, June 10, 2013

Patriarch and Sister Sanchez

Sunday ~ June 9, 2013
 
We had the great priviledge of driving Sofia and Connie to the home of two different Patriarch's to receive their Patriarchal Blessings. First we drove to Patriarch Perkins' home (30 minutes north in Englewood) where Connie received her blessing in English. Afterward we drove to Patriarch Sanchez's home (1 hour south in Bound Brook) where Sofia received her blessing in Spanish.

Patriarch Sanchez - Sofia Tepoz (mom) - Connie Castro (daughter) - Hermana Sanchez

 
Brother and Sister Sanchez are from Lima, Peru.  They only speak Spanish.  While Sofia was in the living room with Patriarch Sanchez, we were invited to sit around their kitchen table while Connie translated for us so we could communicate with Sister Sanchez. 

I made the BIG MISTAKE of admiring this beautiful and very soft wall hanging of Machupicchu. Sister Sanchez's eyes lit up.  She said "you like?"  Then she removed it and placed it in my hands and insisted that I have it.  I tried to convince her to keep it and that I would take a photo of it - that way we could both have it.  After the photo, she still insisted that I have it.  I felt so humbled by her  beautiful example of Christ-like love. I then remembered that this is a part of their culture and in the future I need to be careful to not admire ANYTHING! 
 
Before we left, we all sat around the kitchen table as Brother and Sister Sanchez offered us each a mini store-bought apple pie, plus a plate of tiny cookies from Peru and a plate of saltine crackers along with soda and water.  We felt so much love and kindness from these two humble servants of the Lord. I hope to learn the lessons their example taught us.

1 comment:

  1. wow, how wonderful and kind. But best to keep your compliments to yourself!

    ReplyDelete