On Saturday, we took a bus to an open market. We were specifically looking for shoe laces and a sweatshirt for Jeff and some warm sweaters for me. We found all we were looking for and also bought the DVD Back to the Future for 3 euro. It must have been a pirated copy because scenes 13-15 were a bit broken up but we still enjoyed it.
We bought roma tomatoes, zucchini, butter crunch lettuce and fuji apples - yummmm!
Salted herring anyone?
Found a wool sweater for 4 euro.

Picking out shoe laces.
Admiring the flowers.


Our biggest disspointment came when we returned home to find our crockpot soup seriously boiling with the lid bouncing! I had turned it on high just 2 hours previous but had failed to plug it into the transformer first, rather than the adapter! It was way too hot.
We were blessed not to have burned the place down! Food was burned to the sides, half the liquid boiled out. We soaked the crock in hot water, but when Jeff attempted to clean it, it cracked and he cut his finger.
We had acquired this crockpot by asking Kristi to buy it and ship it to us (crockpots do not exist in Italy) . Dang, I wish we didn't have to make dumb expensive mistakes to learn important lessons!

Hi Claudette,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad your crock pot story ended with just a cracked pot and not something worse!
How much fun you must have had at the open market finding such great deals. Are there any videos or DVDs you'd like to have or borrow while you're in Rome? I have many I could loan you. Just send me a list. The fresh food in Rome is awesome! You must love shopping for fresh veggies. We miss you and Jeff at choir. We meet at Normans' right after church. The Christmas songs Becky picked are beautiful. We love and miss you!
I had to have Nate explain to me what transformers and adaptors were. He said you were lucky that the crock pot hadn't blown up...yikes! I'm sorry you cut your finger daddy :(
ReplyDeleteLove Allie
Yeah our 1st or second day..I burnt my hair off in one place cause my curling iron was too hot..didn't know about the adapter part cause our sponser negleted to tell us...just glad it wasn't my bangs..;)
ReplyDeleteHi Sister Burt! I saw your blog on my mom's and I've been having fun reading about your adventure's in Italy. Sorry about your crock pot - but at least it makes a good story.
ReplyDeleteYour day at the market sounds fun. I'm glad you found the items you needed. Looks like fall has come your way too.
ReplyDelete