Yesterday we attended the Rome Stake’s celebration of the 168th Anniversary of the Relief Society. For me, this event was another wonderful insight into the gratitude that the Rome Saints have for their pioneer heritage even though they have no American pioneer ancestors.
It is particularly moving to me to witness their gratitude because I do have pioneer blood flowing through my veins. However, I have heard their testimonies and realize that bloodlines have nothing to do with ownership.
A couple from our ward portrayed Emma and Joseph as they read letters back and forth to each other – Emma from her home and Joseph from Liberty Jail.
Here you can see “Emma” in the spotlight. I love how she is dressed in the closest pioneer costume they could think of – I doubt you could find calico fabric here!
Here you can get a feel for Emma’s words to Joseph – translated into Italian.
In preparing for this event, Norma (the woman who portrayed Emma) told me that as she translated Emma’s letters into Italian (from an actual scan of Emma’s letters), it was difficult, not only because it was hard to read Emma’s cursive writing but because she could feel Emma’s distress. It was a tender yet powerful experience for her.

No comments:
Post a Comment