January 5, 2014 ~ Sunday
Last Sunday four non-member children came to primary swelling our ranks to eight. Gratefully, I was warned the night before via a text from our branch mission leader that the missionaries would be bringing 4 children to church. I greeted them warmly after sacrament meeting and told them I would be their next teacher and to follow me. Their ages are: 10, 9, 7, and 6. They informed me that they had an older sister and it is because of her that I am writing this journal entry.
Today, she came to church for the first time along. At the beginning of primary she was acting a bit silly, but I knew that was because of her insecurity in a new setting and perhaps thinking that was a way to impress the older kids. Quickly however, all the silliness left her as she began to listen to the lesson which was about Heavenly Father’s Plan for Us. She learned, for the first time, that she lived before in a pre-mortal life.
As the diagrams were placed up on the chalkboard depicting the Plan of Salvation, each child had their own smaller version of cut-outs to tape on a sheet of construction paper.
As I taught about Heavenly Father’s plan for his children, explaining the concepts behind each diagram, I could see in her countenance the Holy Ghost witnessing to her the truth of what I taught. When she learned of what it took to qualify to earn residence in the Celestial Kingdom, she asked if she could be baptized. I explained that 3 things needed to happen before she could be baptized. She would need her parents permission. She would need to take some lessons from the missionaries. She would need to be at least 8 years old and accountable so she could make a covenant or promise to always follow Jesus and His teachings.
As the lesson progressed – so beautifully directed by the Spirit answering her many questions – she asked two more times about when she could be baptized. I told her that when the class was over, she could ask the missionaries.
I also witnessed the Spirit working in another child as we recalled his baptism just under a year ago, because she wanted to know what it would be like to be baptized. We explained why you wear white, why you are immersed, who has the authority to perform the baptism, how sins are symbolically washed away, and what to do on the ride hope from the baptism when you suddenly realize you are not clean anymore because you took the Lord’s name in vain.
When class was over I was busy helping other children when she returned to the primary room and asked me to help her find the person she needed to ask to be baptized. I poked my head out the door and spotted one of the missionaries down the hall. I got his attention and then directed her to him.
Later, the missionary came to me with light and joy in his eyes asking about what happened in Primary! The Elders were working up a lesson to present to the children about baptism and here she comes to them and asks to be baptized!
It is a sacred thing to witness the workings of the Spirit upon another person. You can see it in their eyes – like deep pools of light being opened to eternity.
I am so grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost. He was the teacher today.
oh how wonderful mom! I am so grateful that you are the primary president for this little branch and can teach (with the spirit) these children and be there to witness all of this!
ReplyDeletewhat a wonderful thing :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful experience! I'm going to copy and forward this story to Elder Showalter. I guess he was there and probably knows even more about it than you so beautifully shared here, but I know he will appreciate your words!! You are wonderful Sister Burt.
ReplyDelete