Sunday, February 28, 2010

Firenze ~ Michelangelo's Home Town

February 27, 2010 ~ Firenze (Florence).
Michelangelo’s home town is a beautiful city!

Hexagonal baptistery in front of the Duomo in Florence, Italy.

The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore is the cathedral church (Duomo) of Florence, Italy.

Looking up into the dome.
Next stop - Academy Gallery - home of Michelangelo's David.

The David

Altar cloth dating back to 1336 embroidered with silk, silver and gold thread.


Sculpture carved by Danatello who taught Bertoldo who taught Michelangelo.

The Lamentation over the Dead Christ

Michelangelo was about 75 when he did this work. The face of Nicodemus under the hood is considered to be a self-portrait of Michelangelo himself. I love the compassion on his face.


Santa Croce - where Michelangelo is buried with his family. The Pope wanted him to be buried in St. Peter's but Michelangelo on his death bed made his good friend promise to take his body to Santa Croce, even if he had to smuggle his body out of Rome (According to Irving Stone in the Agony and The Ecstacy, p. 757).


The Ponte Vecchio ("Old Bridge") is noted for still having shops built along it, as was once common. Butchers initially occupied the shops; the present tenants are jewelers, art dealers and souvenir sellers.

The mass of people walking along the street that merges onto the bridge.


Open Market shopping.

My new leather purse and the woman who sold it to me.

Ready to head home after a great Preparation Day!

Beautiful Firenze at night.

4 comments:

  1. That must have been the best day! Mom gets to splurge on suvineers :) I liked your modest picture of The David, very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't the Michael statue something else..all the detail is phenomanal...:) thanks for sharing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again,
    As usual, your photo diary doesn't disappoint. I always look forward to your informative, fun-filled postings, and I LOVE your photos! I'm grateful to you for taking the time to share your adventures with us. I'm SO HAPPY for you! And I'm wishing I was there with you!

    ReplyDelete