Steve and Nancy Allen with Elder and Sister BurtLast week, President Kelly received an unexpected phone call from Stephen Allen. He is the head of the Missionary Department for the Church. He and his wife had planned a vacation cruise that began in Rome. They arrived two and half days before the cruise so they could see Rome. He offered to give a fireside for any missionaries who could attend on Sunday - needless to say the fireside was wonderful! We are so grateful that they would choose to spend part of their vacation time with us. Truly they blessed our lives and inspired our missionaries.
August 30, 2010 - Monday
We invited the Marcucci’s to our home for dinner and had a great time. Around 9pm when they were ready to leave, I showed Elder Marcucci our dead bolt locking system (there are 4 dead bolts that go deeper and deeper into the wall with each turn – after I had turned the dead bolts the maximum 4 turns, I went to turn them back – but they would not budge! It was stuck in that locked position! An hour and a half later, after dismantling much of the locking system with no luck, it was suggested that perhaps the lock hadn’t failed, but that the problem was with the key. As Jeff looked closer at the key he could see that one of the prongs was bent and as he bent it back, if fell off. Gratefully, there are spare keys to all the apartments at the office. The Crawford’s were at the office getting tools to come break us out when we called in time to ask them to bring the spare key. The key worked! We were all a happy bunch – especially the Marcucci’s who didn’t have to sleep on our futon!
The Crawford's with their break-in tools. Jeff with his new key... and the Marccuci's glad to be freed!
oh I remember those keys..I have a huge one that an italian family gave to us that I still have and I always felt safe with those doors..loved how they locked 4 times..:)
ReplyDeleteI love dad's goofy expressions! I miss that :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you almost had an impromptu slumber party! Being locked in is better than being locked out... I think. Glad it all worked out and you had a good laugh. Thanks for sharing such a fun story. Love you.
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure!
ReplyDelete